Movies Anywhere supports 4K UHD and HDR playback of select titles on supported devices.
What is 4K UHD?
4K UHD, also known as Ultra HD, refers to the number of pixels in the video (3840 x 2160p). This is four times the pixel resolution of 1080p HD content.
What is HDR?
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. It’s a set of technologies that allows consumers to enjoy a more engaging picture featuring brighter images and a wider color palette.
What do I need to play 4K UHD and HDR content?
- 4K UHD/HDR capable TV
- The Movies Anywhere app installed on a 4K-compatible Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV, LG TV or Chromecast device. Or, 4K TVs with embedded Roku, Fire TV, or Android TV.
- We recommend a minimum internet connection of 25 megabits per second (Mbps). It is recommended to connect your device with an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-Fi.
- 4K/HDR eligible content within your movie collection on Movies Anywhere.
What devices support 4K UHD and HDR?
The following devices are capable of playing 4K UHD/HDR content using the Movies Anywhere app:
- Apple TV 4K
- Roku streaming stick +
- Roku Ultra
- Roku 4 4400R
- Roku TV 4K
- Roku Premiere- not hdr
- Roku premiere +
- Google Chromecast Ultra
- Amazon Fire TV Cube
- Amazon Fire TV stick 4K
- Amazon Fire TV 3rd generation (2017)
- Toshiba 4K Fire TV Edition
- Sony Bravia Android 4K Smart TVs
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV
- LG 4K UHD TVs (2017 or newer)
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs (4K models 2016 or newer)
- Samsung Smart TV (models 2017-2020)
NOTE: To stream 4K Ultra HD content, your device must support HDCP 2.2. For additional HDCP 2.2 support and troubleshooting on these devices, please visit:
- Apple TV - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208074
- Amazon Fire TV - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201859000&qid=1551481959&sr=1-2
- Roku - https://support.roku.com/article/230317588-why-is-hdcp-2-2-important-to-playing-4k-ultra-hd-or-hdr-content-
How do I know if a movie in my collection is in 4K UHD?
At the top of each movie detail page in Movies Anywhere, there is a SD, HD or 4K badge, indicating which format you purchased or redeemed.
How do I purchase a movie in 4K UHD?
Movies Anywhere provides a convenient way to purchase movies directly from a connected Digital Retailer. Please refer to any of your connected Digital Retailers and look for 4K UHD purchase options as not all retailers will carry all titles in 4K UHD.
To learn more about how to purchase movies, see this article
For a list of movies currently available for 4K playback in Movies Anywhere, see this article
Can I upgrade an SD or HD movie to 4K UHD?
There are two options to upgrade movies to 4K UHD:
- Redeem a 4K UHD Digital Copy code in Movies Anywhere.
- If you had already owned the movie in a lower resolution/format, you will need to repurchase the 4K UHD format of the movie. This option is only available on select Digital Retailers.
What kind of HDR does Movies Anywhere support?
Movies Anywhere currently supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision on select movie titles. To determine which format of HDR is available for a movie, go to the movie details page on Movies Anywhere of a purchased or redeemed movie and look for an HDR or Dolby Vision badge beneath the movie’s title. This information is also listed at the bottom of the movie details page in the Additional Info section, including which format is available for the title along with what you purchased (if applicable).
NOTE: If a title is available in Dolby Vision and your system supports Dolby Vision, playback will default to Dolby Vision. If a title is not available in Dolby Vision and/or your system doesn’t support Dolby Vision, playback will default to HDR10. Dolby Vision is not supported on Roku devices at this time.
What movies are available for 4K UHD playback in Movies Anywhere?
To determine if a title is currently available for 4K UHD playback, go to the movie details page on Movies Anywhere of a title you purchased or redeemed and look for a 4K badge indicating that you have 4K UHD rights. If a title is not available to playback in 4K UHD, there will be an additional message on the movie details page indicating "This title is currently not supported in 4K".
To see all movies currently available for 4K UHD playback in Movies Anywhere, check our 4K UHD collection page regularly, as titles are continually added.
For more information about Dolby Atmos, see "What audio formats does Movies Anywhere support?"