Movies Anywhere supports 4K UHD and HDR playback of select titles on supported devices.
What is 4K UHD?
4K UHD, also known as Ultra HD, refers to the number of pixels in the video (3840 x 2160p). This is four times the pixel resolution of 1080p HD content.
What is HDR?
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. It’s a set of technologies that allows consumers to enjoy a more engaging picture featuring brighter images and a wider color palette.
What do I need to play 4K UHD or HDR content?
- 4K UHD/HDR capable TV
- The Movies Anywhere app installed on a 4K-compatible Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV or Chromecast device. Or, 4K TVs with embedded Roku, Fire TV, or Android TV.
- We recommend a minimum internet connection of 25 megabits per second (Mbps). It is recommended to connect your device with an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-Fi.
- 4K/HDR eligible content within your movie collection on Movies Anywhere.
What devices support 4K UHD and HDR?
The following TV-connected devices are capable of playing 4K UHD/HDR content using the Movies Anywhere app:
- Apple TV 4K
- Roku streaming stick +
- Roku Ultra
- Roku 4 4400R
- Roku TV 4k
- Roku Premiere- not hdr
- Roku premiere +
- Google Chromecast Ultra
- Amazon Fire TV Cube
- Amazon Fire TV stick 4k
- Amazon Fire TV 3rd generation (2017)
- Toshiba 4k Fire TV Edition
- Nvidia Shield
- Sony Bravia Android 4k Smart TVs
NOTE: To stream 4K Ultra HD or HDR content, your device must support HDCP. For additional HDCP support and troubleshooting on these devices, please visit:
- Apple TV - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208074
- Amazon Fire TV - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201859000&qid=1551481959&sr=1-2
- Roku - https://support.roku.com/article/230317588-why-is-hdcp-2-2-important-to-playing-4k-ultra-hd-or-hdr-content-
How do I know if a movie in my collection is in 4K UHD?
At the top of each movie detail page in Movies Anywhere, there is a SD, HD or 4K badge, indicating which format you purchased or redeemed.
How do I purchase a movie in 4K UHD?
Movies Anywhere provides a convenient way to purchase movies directly from a connected Digital Retailer. Please refer to any of your connected Digital Retailers and look for 4K UHD purchase options as not all retailers will carry all titles in 4K UHD.
To learn more about how to purchase movies, click here
For a list of movies currently available for 4K playback in Movies Anywhere, click here
Can I upgrade an SD or HD movie to 4K UHD?
There are two options to upgrade movies to 4K UHD:
- Redeem a 4K UHD Digital Copy code in Movies Anywhere.
- Purchase the 4K UHD format of the movie you already purchased from one of your connected Digital Retailers. This option is only available on select Digital Retailers.
What kind of HDR does Movies Anywhere support?
Movies Anywhere currently only supports HDR10. However, you may have access to other HDR formats when viewing through one of your connected Digital Retailers.
Can I download movies in 4K UHD?
Not yet. Downloads are currently offered in SD or HD only.
What movies are available for 4K UHD playback in Movies Anywhere?
To determine if a title is currently available for 4K UHD playback, go to the movie details page of a title you purchased or redeemed and look for a 4K badge indicating that you have 4K UHD rights. If a title is not available to playback in 4K UHD, there will be an additional message on the movie details page indicating "This title is currently not supported in 4K".
To see all movies currently available for 4K UHD playback in Movies Anywhere, check our 4K UHD collection page regularly, as titles are continually added.